Thursday, September 17, 2009

Experience to Expertise

I felt like watching Sex and the City today when I got home from work. I think that's mostly due to the fact that my favorite pair of heels broke, but there might be other reasons. I started to explain why these heels are so important to me, even got into the second paragraph of the story, before I realized that nobody actually cares what I'm going to wear this Saturday. Email me personally if you want to know. ;)

Being a recent graduate is tough territory to navigate. You don't have any real experience. This means that it's almost impossible to find a job that you can actually get excited about. If you do manage to find that one amazing job, you're horribly underqualified and you feel it every day you work there. I feel like my boss is constantly having to defend me as an employee in order to get people to take me seriously. I don't want that to have to happen. But people's assumptions about me are right, I have no experience in my field. I think I'm good(ish) at what I do, but this is all new territory and I have nothing to prove that to be the case.

In my field in particular, I feel like I'm also running the risk of having every teacher hate me. "I don't have any real teaching experience, but trust me when I say that you should teach this way." Yea, nobody wants to hear that. I'm also secretly afraid that when I'm finally old enough to have the experience that would cause people to respect me, I'll want to be a stay at home mom.

I tried to find my blog on google earlier, it proved nearly impossible. So if you're reading this, I really appreciate you. More than you can know.

P.S. I'm fully aware that my scrollbar isn't working. I almost even care enough to fix it. I cared enough to try for about 5 minutes if that makes you feel any better. Just click in the box and use your arrows if it's giving you trouble. There will probably be a new redesign in not too long.

UPDATE: The scrollbar is now working. Huzzah! Admitting that it wasn't working made me feel guilty, and motivated me to figure it out.

No comments:

 
Welcome to the real world - Free Blogger Templates - by Templates para novo blogger