Monday, May 11, 2009

And so begins a new chapter...

... forget new chapters.  Why not start a new book?  ... a new blog, perhaps?

May 11, the day after commencement, the day I started my new job, and the first day of the rest of my life.  We're starting off with a bang!

Maryanna and I went to the mall this evening.  I spent an obscene amount of money on make-up.  What else are gift cards for if not to buy things you don't need?  Tomorrow's schedule: work, tie-dye, American Idol.  Get ready.

My to-do list is shrinking, and I take that as a general sign that I'm getting things done.  Graduate.  Check.  Find someplace to live this summer.  Check.  Spend time with your roommate for her last semester (or summer session) with you.  Granted, few of these things were actually accomplished in these past few days.  My friend called me to tell me a room opened up in her house.  I went to an event celebrating the work accomplished many semesters ago, certainly at least weeks.  And I goofed off with one of my favorite people in the world.  Not so impressive.  And the one or two things remaining are the only things that take any real effort, and I still haven't gotten around to them.  Why is that, do you suppose?

Announcement: when I get a teaching job, I'll let you know.  Until then, stop asking.  You're bumming me out.

I'll close with the lyrics of the song that this blog was named for.  Points to John Mayer for writing it.

Welcome to the real world 
She said to me, condescendingly
Take a seat, take your life
Plot it out in black and white
Well I never lived the dream of the prom kings 
and the drama queens
I'd like to think the best of me 
I'd still had it up my sleeve
I'd love to tell you 
"stay inside the line"
But something's better on the other side

I wanna run through the halls of my high school
I wanna scream at the top of my lungs
I just found out there's no such thing as the real world
Just a lie you've got to rise above

So the good boys and girls take the so-called right track
Fading what had greater credits made the transfers
They read all the books but they can't find the answer
All of our parents they're getting older
Wonder if they've wished for anything better
While in their memories tiny tragedies
They love to tell you stay inside the lines
Something's better on the other side

I wanna run through the halls of my high school
I wanna scream at the top of my lungs
I just found out there's no such thing as the real world
Just a lie you've got to rise above

I am invincible
I am invincible
I am invincible as long as I'm alive

I wanna run through the halls of my high school
I wanna scream at the top of my lungs
I just found out there's no such thing as the real world
Just a lie you've got to rise above

I just can't wait 'till my ten year reunion
I wanna bust down the double doors
And when I stand on these tables before me 
You will know what all this time is for

No comments:

 
Welcome to the real world - Free Blogger Templates - by Templates para novo blogger